We operate as a Financial Advice Provider under a current license issued by the Financial Markets Authority in the name of A Better Mortgage Limited (FSP775392).
There are no conditions attached to this license on the advice that may be given.
We provide advice to our clients about home loan products and personal insurance products (life insurance, mortgage insurance, income protection cover, trauma cover, and health insurance).
We also assist clients with the home buying process and with completing their due diligence.
We work with many home loan product providers and personal insurance product providers. Most of these are listed in our Disclosure Statement.
On settlement of a loan or the issuance of an insurance policy, we usually receive commission from the applicable product provider. The commission is generally of an upfront nature but may also include a renewal or trail commission.
This commission is used to remunerate advisors, and to pay the expenses associated with running our business including rent, staff and administration costs and IT resources. From this commission we also pay NZ Financial Services Group Limited for services they provide to us in connection with our authorisation under their licence from the Financial Markets Authority.
We take steps to ensure that the receipt of commissions does not influence the advice we give to you and that our advisers prioritise your interests by recommending the best product for your purpose regardless of the type and amount of commission we or they may receive. We do this by:
- Ensuring we follow an advice process that ensures we understand your needs and goals and that our recommendations on mortgage and insurance options meet those needs and goals.
- We receive the same commission amount no matter which lender we arrange your finance with. This means there is no financial incentive for us to promote one lender over another, and therefore our only agenda is to find the right loan for you.
- We receive regular training on how to manage conflicts of interest.
FEES AND EXPENSES
Generally, we do not charge you any fee for the advice and transactional solutions that we provide to you. This is possible because, on settlement of a mortgage or the issuance of an insurance policy, we usually receive commission from the applicable product provider as described above. However, A Better Mortgage may charge you a one-off fee in the following situations:
- The lender we arrange your lending with does not pay upfront commission.
- You intend to repay your lending within the next two years. In this situation the lender will clawback some or all the commission received.
Any such fee will be discussed with you and formally agreed upon with you before being charged. You will be invoiced and will be given 30 days to make payment.
CONFLICTS OF INTEREST
If there are any conflicts of interest that could potentially influence the advice that we give, these will be shown in a Disclosure Statement.
>> View our Disclosure Statement
We are always looking for ways to improve our service to you, so if something has gone wrong, please let us know so we can try to put it right.
When emailing or writing to us, please outline what has happened and how we can resolve matters. If you have any documents or correspondence that will help us to understand your complaint, please attach them to the email.
When we receive your complaint, we will:
- acknowledge your complaint within 2 working days
- gather and evaluate information about your complaint
- respond to you within 10 working days.
If we cannot agree on how to resolve the complaint, you can contact Financial Services Complaints Limited (FSCL). FSCL are an independent, not-for-profit, external dispute resolution scheme approved by the Minister of Consumer Affairs.
FSCL’s service does not cost you anything and they will help resolve the complaint.
You can contact FSCL: